As we were leaving Cadiz, Spain today the Captain came on the intercom and told us that a rather large storm has been brewing in the North Atlantic and that it would affect the Azores and our course if we sailed as planned. Heavy seas and rain in the midst of the storm would be encountered and the ride would not be rather rough for a ship of our smaller size.
So, he has decided to head southwest instead of straight out of Cadiz in order to go around the south end of the storm. That, of course, means that the Azores are no longer on our new course and will be skipped. Starting tomorrow we are looking at a longer sail around the storm and seven sea days in a row before reaching Bermuda, our next scheduled stop.
If you are following on a map, scratch the Azores off the itinerary and replace it with “at sea.”
I’ll tell you about Gibraltar and Spain shortly (likely tomorrow). I had a beautiful excursion today to Seville in Spain with some interesting stops and, hopefully, good photos. Yesterday, was a nice day on Gibraltar with fun monkey photos among others.
Heading southwest in the Atlantic now.